Back to School is coming and today I’m excited to share some back to school classroom ideas with you! I know some of us go back to school as early as July so I wanted to make sure this post got out to you early.
Back to School Book Suggestions:
Please note Amazon affiliate links are included in this post for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here are five fun books that you can share with your class during the Back to School season..
- We Don’t Eat Our Classmates
- Our Class is a Family
- If I Built a School
- The Pigeon Has to Go to School
- First Day Jitters
Back to School Classroom Ideas – Boot Camp
Boot Camp is a fun way to get your class school-year ready! I love to do a Boot Camp Room Transformation the first or second week of school. During our boot camp, students review their math skills, practice writing detailed sentences, build boats that can float, and more! To learn more about this transformation, click HERE.
Back to School Classroom Idea – Create a School
One of my favorite beginning of the year projects is my Create a School Project. This activity is a great way to build classroom community and help students learn the rules of the classroom. During Create a School, students are working together (as pretend teachers) to create Johnson (or your last name) Elementary. The “teachers” pick their classes, design their classrooms, learn about class rules, and create rules for the classroom and common area. To learn more about this fun project, click HERE.
Back to School Resources
- Back to School Word Problems – These back to school themed word problems are a great formative assessment for the beginning of the year. Students will be able to demonstrate their understanding of addition and subtraction skills, their ability to solve problems, and use their math strategies. Click HERE to get these for your class.
- SEL Discussion Cards – These Social Emotional Learning discussion cards are great for the first few weeks of school! I use these in Morning Meeting as a way to discuss situations that could come in the classroom and go through ways we could handle them. Click HERE for the discussion cards.
- Getting to Know You – Back to School Activities – Back to school is always a fun time for students to get to know one another. This packet of writing activities is perfect for the first week! Includes student interviews, goal setting for the year, and more! Click HERE to grab these for your first week!
- Back to School Morning Meeting Activities – Part 1 – Morning Meeting is my favorite way to start any school day and the beginning of the school year is no exception. These school themed activities are great for the first few weeks of school. Includes activity slides for Noggle, Story Starter, Finish the Doodle, Which One Does Not Belong, and more. Click HERE to grab these activities!
- Back to School Writing Prompts – These fun themed writing prompts are a great way for students to share information about themselves and for you to learn about them as writers! They work great for independent writing, formative assessment, writing warm-up, writing center, and more! Click HERE for the prompts. (Check out a FREEBIE of these below…)
Back to School FREEBIE:
These back-to-school themed FREE Writing Prompts are perfect to use during the first few weeks of school! These writing prompts are a great writing warm-up, writing center, and more. Click HERE to get your FREEBIE.