As we all know, classroom management is such an important part of teaching. Today I’m sharing 5 classroom management tips with you to help start your school year off on the right foot!
- High Expectations – It’s important for you to set high expectations for your students. You need a classroom where students are able to learn and for that to happen expectations need to be set in place.
- Be Consistent – This is huge! If you say something, you need to follow through with it. And, more importantly you need to be consistent with each student.
- Model and Practice – When setting these high expectations it’s important that you model and show the kids what they look like. Kids also need time to practice expectations. For example, if you want students walking with their hands by their sides and facing forward in the hall – you need to model it and practice it and practice it some more.
- Build Relationships – Relationships are another important key to classroom management. Get to know your students and let them get to know you. When you have strong relationships with your students, you will see less behavior problems.
- Plan Ahead – This is probably weird to put last, but you want to plan your procedures and expectations before the school year starts. Think about how you want to handle getting a drink, sharpening pencils, turning work in, walking in the hall, etc. If you have clear procedures in place, it will be easier to communicate that to your students.
What are you favorite classroom management tips??? Leave a comment…